Pennsylvania CNA Facts
Looking for CNA information that is specific to your state? Look no further!
Scroll down to find out more about CNA Training requirements, Testing processes, Renewal Procedures and Employment Options for your state!
Pennsylvania requires 80 hours of CNA training in a state approved program, including 37.5 hours of clinical experiences.
Summary: 80 hours training
CREDENTIA performs CNA testing in Pennsylvania. Qualifications for testing include:
- Candidate have completed a nurse aide training program, approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, within the last twenty-four (24) months.
- Candidate’s Pennsylvania nurse aide registration has lapsed because you have not worked providing nursing-related services for at least 24 consecutive months.
- Candidate is a licensed nurse aide on another state’s nurse aide registry, but your licensure has lapsed because you have not worked providing nursing-related services for at least 24 consecutive months.
- You are a temporary nurse aide and have completed a Nurse Aide Attestation Form and intend to sit for the PA nurse aide examination.
You can review the Candidate Handbook for more testing information.
Summary: $1135 testing fee
CNAs in Pennsylvania are required to renew their CNA certification every 2 years.
The cost to renew is $297.
The requirements for renewal are:
- CNA is required to work at least one documented day (i.e. 8 consecutive hours) for pay in an approved facility.
- CNA is required to provide nurse aides a
minimum of twelve (12) hours of
in-service education each year based
on the results of yearly performance
For a detailed process on How To Renew Your Certification, you can follow these steps.
Summary: $297 renewal fee
The employment outlook for CNAs in Pennsylvania is good. As of 2020, there are 74,810 people employed as CNAs and it is projected to grow by 10% at 2028 making it to 82,140 employees. It’s projected annual job openings between 2018 – 2030 is 10,200.
Summary: 10% projected growth
The average pay rate for CNAs in Pennsylvania is $34,188 as of September 26, 2022, but the range typically falls between $31,159 and $37,752.