New Mexico CNA Facts
Looking for CNA information that is specific to your state? Look no further!
Scroll down to find out more about CNA Training requirements, Testing processes, Renewal Procedures and Employment Options for your state!
New Mexico requires 75 hours of CNA training in a state approved program, including 16 hours of clinical experiences.
Summary: 75 hours training
PROMETRIC performs CNA testing in New Mexico. Qualifications for testing include:
- You must have successfully completed a New Mexico state-approved.
- If you are Military Trained, you must seek approval from the DOH to test.
- If you are a Graduate of RN or LN, you must have successfully completed a New Mexico state approved RN/LPN program, but have not yet been licensed.
- If you are an Out-of-State Nurse Aide but your certification has expired within the past 24 months, you must seek approval from the DOH to test.
- If you are an Out-of-State or Foreign-Trained Nurse/Nurse Aide, you must seek approval from the DOH to test.
- If you are an RN/LPN Student, you must seek approval from the DOH to test.
- If you have an expired New Mexico Certificate less than 24 Months ago, you may reapply and training will not be required.
- If you have an expired New Mexico Certificate more than 24 Months ago, must seek approval from the DOH to test without retraining. If not, you must successfully complete a New Mexico state-approved nurse aide training program, then take and pass the Competency Examination.
Exam Fees for First-Time Testers
Exam Fees for Re-Testers
Summary: $107.10 Testing Fee
CNAs in New Mexico are required to renew their CNA certification every 2 years.
The cost to renew is $26.25.
The requirements for renewal are:
- You must have worked for pay as a nurse aide for at least eight hours during your most recent 24-month certification period.
Summary: $26.25 renewal fee
The employment outlook for CNAs in New Mexico is good. As of 2020, there are 5,110 people employed as CNAs and it is projected to grow by 9% in 2028 making it to 5,560 employees. It’s projected annual job openings between 2018 – 2028 is 690.
Summary: 9% projected growth
The average pay rate for CNAs in New Mexico is $31,311 as of September 26, 2022, but the range typically falls between $28,536 and $34,574.