Alabama CNA Facts
Looking for CNA information that is specific to your state? Look no further!
Scroll down to find out more about CNA Training requirements, Testing processes, Renewal Procedures and Employment Options for your state!
AL Department of Public Health
Division of Health Care Facilities
The RSA Tower, Suite 600
201 Monroe Street Montgomery, AL 36104
Phone: (334) 206-5169
Fax: (334) 206-5219
Alabama requires 75 hours of CNA training in a state approved program, including 55 hours in a classroom setting and 20 hours of clinical experiences.
Summary: 75 hours training
CREDENTIA performs CNA testing in Alabama. Qualifications for testing include:
- If candidate is a New Nursing Assistant, you must have successfully completed the state approved training.
- If candidate is a Nursing Student/Graduate, you must have successfully completed a Fundamental of Nursing course.
- If candidate is a Lapsed Nursing Assistant, you must complete a state approved nurse aide training program to retest.
You can review the Candidate Handbook for more testing details.
PROMETRIC performs CNA testing in Alabama. Qualifications for testing include:
- Candidate must have completed a state-approved nurse aide training program. Testing must be completed within two years of your training completion date.
You can review the Candidate Information Bulletin for more testing details.
$135 testing fee
$115 testing fee
CNAs in Alabama are required to renew their CNA certification every 2 years.
The cost to renew is $25.
The requirements for renewal are:
- CNA must have worked a minimum 8 hours of work within 24 months.
Summary: $25 renewal fee
The employment outlook for CNAs in Alabama is good. As of 2020, there are 21,840 people employed as CNAs and it is projected to grow by 7% at 2030 making it to 23,440 employees. It’s projected annual job openings between 2018 – 2028 is 2,890.
Summary: 7% projected growth
The average pay rate for CNAs in Alabama is $32,098 as of September 26, 2022, but the range typically falls between $29,254 and $35,444.